Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Favorite Screen Characters Tag


Hark, I have been tagged by Victoria Grace Howell! The rules are simple:

-List your ten favorite screen characters (from movies and TV; but since I don’t really watch TV, we’ll stick to movies).

-Tag ten other bloggers.

Narrowing it down to only ten—that part is not so simple. I could list twice as many. In fact, it would be so much easier if we could define the category further. Ten favorite superheroes, for example. Or ten favorite female characters, male characters, animated characters, villains, supporting characters, funny characters, or favorite despised characters! I mean, really, I have at least ten favorites in all those categories. Probably more.

But I am forced to pick just ten. *le sigh* Here we go!

1.      CAPTAIN AMERICA: Favorite. Superhero. Ever. He’s upright and courageous, one of the only heroes who consistently holds to his morals. (Not the only one, but pretty close.) He’s not perfect, but he does his best. Grounded in “old-fashioned” values, he does his job with humility and commitment. Plus, he’s got the best one-liners.
 

"I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been.
And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it.
But I'm willing to bet I'm not."
 

2.     TOOTHLESS: I adore dragons, and an uber-fast dragon with powerful breath, adorable personality, and an affinity for fish will instantly steal my heart. Look at that face—how can you not love that face? I want my own Toothless.
 
 

3.     BILBO BAGGINS: I confess, I have a bit of hobbit in me. Home is my favorite place in the world, and I enjoy the comforts found there. So, like Bilbo, I sometimes need a Gandalf to knock on my door and drag me into an adventure. All that aside, Martin Freeman pulled off Bilbo’s character perfectly. His mannerisms and personality—everything. And our dear little hobbit turns out to have a giant load of courage.

"I just need to sit quietly for a moment."
 
4.     SPIDER-MAN: I specifically mean the amazing Spider-Man. (Don’t get me wrong, Tobey Maguire really brought out Spidey’s awkward and geeky side. That’s lovable. But the new Spider-Man played by Andrew Garfield is just awesome.) Cap may be my top favorite hero, but Spider-Man comes pretty close. He’s young, he makes mistakes sometimes, but he puts his life on the line for the sake of helping others. And his humor. Oh, his humor.

"I like to think Spider-Man gives people hope."

5.     WINNIE THE POOH: I know, he doesn’t seem to be in the same league as superheroes, dragons, and burglar hobbits, but this bear with a very little brain has a special place in my heart. I have never outgrown the Hundred Acre Wood; I’ve laughed harder at Pooh movies in the last five years than I did as a child. Pooh is a rather straightforward sort of person: the most important things in life are honey and friends. Silly old bear.

"Think, think, think..."
 
6.     FLYNN RIDER, a.k.a EUGENE FITZHERBERT: This guy is impossible to dislike. He’s handsome, charming, full of himself, hilarious, and deep down . . . a really great guy with a soft heart. He may have started out with ulterior motives, but in the end, he sacrifices for the one he loves. And did I mention he’s hilarious?

"They just can't get my nose right!"
 
7.      EUSTACE CLARENCE SCRUBB: Aha, so not all of my favorites are the nice guys. Eustace is a complete brat, at least at first. But he’s the kind of brat you love to despise, until he begins to change, and then somehow, you find yourself liking him quite a bit. His character arc is fabulous. (And I was very sad to see the Narnia movies halted, because I so wanted Will Poulter to play in The Silver Chair.)

"That giant rat thing just tried to claw my face off!"

8.     LUCY PEVENSIE: Can I list two from the same storyworld? Lucy is an amazing girl. Her faith in Aslan never wavers, even when she can’t see him, even when others doubt, even when it doesn’t make sense. And if it wasn’t for her, the Pevensies would never have found Narnia! Oh, and her struggle with temptation in Voyage of the Dawn Treader is also inspiring, as she learns to accept herself and goes on to encourage another girl to do the same.

"When you grow up, you should be just like you."

9.     TADASHI HAMADA: What a hero! And he officially broke my heart. I won’t give any spoilers, but . . . he did make me cry. I’m not a very weepy movie-watcher, but his role in Big Hero 6 was a bit of a tear-jerker. He’s a great older brother to Hiro, protecting him, teaching him, looking out for him. Tadashi is the kind of big sibling that I aspire to be.

"Welcome to nerd school, nerd."

10.  LOKI: See, here’s another really not so nice guy. Loki has got to be one of my favorite villains. There’s just no explanation needed. He’s terribly evil, yet with a sympathetic backstory, and in the middle of his diabolical plots, he manages to make me laugh. Is that not perfect? He is also an extremely quotable character.


"You'll kill me? Evidently there will be a line."



That was hard! I have so many other characters that almost made the list. Brave ones like Katniss Everdeen or Captain Nichollsen of War Horse or Gandalf. Funny ones like Larry the Cucumber, Radagast the Brown, Olaf, Gru and his minions, Dory of Finding Nemo, Mater, Jack Sparrow, and Baymax. Heartbreaking ones like Bucky. Inspiring ones like Aslan. Miscellaneous ones like Thranduil, Jack Frost, Mary Poppins, Gwen Stacey, or Diaval of Maleficent. So many!

(And I just realized how few girls actually made my top ten—only Lucy. Hm. That makes it sound as if I don’t like the female characters, which is completely untrue. Somehow the males dominated this list.)

On to the tagging! I choose these wonderful gals:
To all you adventurers: who are some of your favorite screen characters? Do any of the ones on my list make yours too? Regale me!


14 comments :

  1. Ohmigoodness!!! This looks like such fun! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks again for tagging me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I look forward to seeing your choices! :D

      Delete
  2. AAAAAHHHHHH! THIS TAG. *FLAILS* Talking about fictional characters is my favoritest thing EVER. It's like this tag was made for me!!! In fact, for a really, really long time I've rolled around the idea of making a blog post listing some of my favorite characters and now I have the perfect excuse to!!! :D :D :D And oh my goodness gracious, are your answers perfect! I'm afraid when I do this tag it'll look almost just like yours. o.o But honestly I don't know HOW I'm only going to choose ten. Meep. Thank goodness this doesn't also include book characters. I think my brain would explode. o.o

    CAPTAIN AMERICA ALWAYS. He and Iron Man are my top favorite superheroes period. (Although I do also love Spiderman.) I really can't choose between the two, they're both so different. But ah, I love them!

    To me, Toothless is THE cutest fictional thing in the universe. Plus he's a DRAGON. HE'S PERFECT.

    Bilbo has long been one of my favorite fictional characters, and then Martin Freeman portrayed him and just sadkjflksjd;ljgdf. I could go on for days at how perfect a Bilbo Freeman was. It's like he was born to play the part!

    POOH BEAR. <3333 Probably my favorite of the animated Disney classic movies. I JUST LOVE POOH AND ALL OF IT SO MUCH.

    And EEEEEE. FLYNNNNNN. I think he IS my favorite Disney character, which is saying a LOT. o.o BUT FLYNN.

    Eustace is great! XD He has one of my favorite character arcs, it's just amazing watching him grow. And Lucy probably inspires me more than any other fictional character. Just...LUCY. She's so wonderful!

    OHMYGOODNESS. I literally watched Big Hero 6 for the first time THIS SUNDAY. AND TADASHI. D': THAT MOVIE TORE UP MY FEELS BUT WAS AMAZING AND... *FANGIRL SCREAM*

    And OF COURSE I love Loki. He's like the best villain ever. XD It doesn't hurt he's played by Tom Hiddleston either. ;)

    As you can see I very much agree to this post! Your answers were PERFECT.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAGGING ME. I cannot wait to do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I COULD GO ON FOR DAYS. Oh, how perfect that I tagged you, then! And I can't wait to see who you pick, even if there are repeats from my list. :) Haha, when I was choosing, I kept thinking of book characters and going, "No, Tracey, so-and-so doesn't count because they're not from a movie!" I doubt I could list only ten favorites from books. *shakes head* It would be impossible. Ten from one series, maybe? XD

      *high five* Yay for good ol' Cap! Iron Man is pretty great too, but I've only seen him in the first movie and in Avengers. (So far.)

      YES, HE IS. If ever someone finds a real live Toothless, I will make him mine.

      I know, he just nailed it! ^^

      *huggles Pooh Bear* (Ooh, have you seen the 2011 film? SUCH CUTENESS.)

      I can see why Flynn is your favorite Disney character! He may even be mine too, or at least in the top five.

      Everything you said about Eustace and Lucy--YES.

      *gasp* You just saw BH6?? Ohhh my goodness. Now I have to rein in my fangirly verbosity so that I don't ramble on for pages. It was SUCH an amazing movie! My feels did not survive. Not even close.

      Of *course.* XD

      You're welcome, and I can't wait to see who you all choose! :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for tagging me, I love all these character's you have great taste. I have zero girls in mine so don't feel bad. I was so sad that 'The Silver Chair' didn't get made too. It was my favorite book.
    Here is the link to my answers, http://skyehoffert.blogspot.ca/2015/04/favorite-screen-characters-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're welcome! And thank you. :D I recently reread all the Narnia books, and when I was on The Silver Chair, I remembered how good it was and how badly we need a movie made out of it. :(

      Thanks for the link! I'll hop on over there next.

      Delete
  4. I love the ones you picked! :D I love all of those characters! And Pooh! He was such a huge part of my childhood. I love him. ^ ^ So much love in this comment. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! :D Pooh is just so special. I still use a pencil case with his face on it, one that I got in kindergarten. XD

      Delete
  5. THANKS FOR THE TAG!! I'm totally going to do this, except, **gulps** It's going to be so so hard. XD There are SO many awesome movies! And tv shows! OMG! And I have eternal love for Loki, though Iron Man will be forever my top favourite Marvel character. (Black Widow is a close second though!! SQUEEE.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're welcome! :D I know, I kind of expected you'd have a hard time choosing. *evil laugh* Looking forward to seeing who you choose!

      Delete
  6. I love your descriptions of all of them! Even if I haven't watched them all. Now I wish I could... :(
    -CeCe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And you will, eventually. :) (Gotta rewatch Captain America with you soon!)

      Delete
  7. Good choices, sis! Not all of them of would necessarily go on my list, if I made one, but good choices nonetheless. :)

    There's only one thing I need to say about Steve Rogers: "Let's hear it for Captain America!" (In case you don't remember, Bucky said that in The First Avenger.) :D

    Toothless is just epic. And huggable. A fierce protector and a kind-hearted friend for Hiccup.

    I'll just repeat what others have said: Martin Freeman did a fabulous job of playing Bilbo--whose character arc is great, by the way. :)

    Spider-Man! Andrew Garfield totally did a better job than Tobey Maguire in every way. :P

    And how could a classic character like Pooh NOT be put on the list? I agree with you saying that you find it funnier now that you're older. ^_^

    Flynn Rider was a great twist on the prince character in the fairy tale. And who can resist liking a daring rogue with a soft side?

    Ah, Eustace. He was one of the abovementioned characters who wouldn't make it onto my "favorite characters" list. I will grant that his character arc was solid, but he still wouldn't be one of my favorites. :P

    Huh, I'd never really thought Lucy's belief in Aslan that way. I guess hers was a child-like faith. :)

    Tadashi was such an amazing character. I mean, you only see him for ten, fifteen minutes in the movie. To love him so much within such a short timeframe... the filmmakers did really well!

    One of Marvel's best villains has got to be Loki, because you both love and despise him in the same breath. He's just plain awesome.

    Have you noticed that the majority of these characters are in Disney movies? Just something I found interesting. :)

    -Josiah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *collapses under long comment*
      *revives*

      Yes, thank you for explaining the source of that Captain America quote. I wouldn't have remembered where it was from. :P

      YES TOOTHLESS. <3

      True, true. Bilbo does have a fabulous character arc. Now you're making me want to have a Hobbit marathon. XD

      Again, yes to all you said about Spider-Man, Pooh, and Flynn. :) But c'mon, Eustace wouldn't make your list? (I'm not terribly surprised, actually.) He was so funny! And he's got a great arc, too, you know.

      I find Lucy quite inspiring.

      That's a good point--Tadashi gets very little screentime, but what he does get packs a good punch.

      Yup. That's Loki alright!

      No, I didn't notice that. Once again, it's something I'd need an observant movie watcher such as yourself to point out. XD

      Delete